Preparation Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 mins
|Recipe Card - Hearty Beef Casserole with Fluffy Dumplings|
|File Size:||198 kb|
1.3kg braising steak
500g lambs liver
2 small onions - chopped
1½ mild onions – chopped
2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
4 celery stalks - chopped
5 purple carrots - chopped
3-4 orange carrots - chopped
3-4 parsnips (medium not mammoth) - chopped
Flour, salt, pepper, thyme
850 ml beef stock bouillion + 1 extra stock cube
2 tbsp tomato puree
Mixed herbs to taste
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp ground cumin
250g plain flour
120g suet (eg Atora)
2 tsps baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. freeze dried mixed herbs or 2 tbsp. of chopped parsley, oregano, marjoram
1 tsp dried mustard powder
Preheat the oven to 160/140 fan
1. Cut steak into largish pieces 4-5cm – removing any tough sinew. Roll in a mix of flour, s&p and thyme.
2. Flash brown the liver cut into bite size pieces in veg oil and set aside.
3. Brown the steak in batches in the casserole dish. Set aside
4. Soften and brown the onions first in the dish followed by the carrots, celery & parsnips and garlic.
5. Add the meat and the liver with beef stock bouillon , tomato puree over heat with sprinkle of mixed herbs
6. Mix extra cube with mustard powder, cumin and touch of water in a paste and mix in.
7. Once boiling pud lid on and into oven for 2 hours turning occasionally.
8. Make up the dumplings and add to casserole for 20 mins before serving.